Sunday, August 5, 2007

Heat

August, one of the most disliked months of the entire year (other than Feb.) It's the heat. I am well-known for my complete disdain for being hot. In fact, one of the reasons I left Texas was due to the extreme heat for so many months there. Now, don't get me wrong, it can get hot in Kansas, too. But, it's a different kind of hot...less humidity and more wind. Plus, it cools down more at night due to the altitude and lack of humidity. AND, it doesn't get as hot early in the summer and last as long into the Fall as Texas. Mostly, it can heat up right around July 4 and the really hot days are gone by the end of Aug. So, that's about 5-6 weeks of hot summer, compared to several months in Texas.

Recently, when I was in Texas, it dawned on me why I don't recall being so sensitive to the heat when I was younger. I LIVED in the swimming pool at the country club or at my parent's house!!!!! I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner than just recently, but it was something about a certain smell in the air that day that reminded me of the old days at the pool. As I got older and didn't have time to be a pool bum, the heat got to me. I asked Lee if he remembered those days. He said he did. I'm sure my girls would remember it, too. They spent a lot of time with me in the water, also.

So, that's it. I'll never live in Texas again. Just can't take the heat.

No comments: